If you are in the market for a new washer, and are considering a high-efficiency front-load model, today we would like to offer some general pro’s and con’s of this type of design.
- They are stackable. If you struggle doing your laundry in a cramped laundry room or closet and have always had the traditional side-by-side washer and dryer, you may wish to consider a stackable set of appliances to give yourself some much-needed space. A table for folding clean items might be a great use of the newly available area.
- They are energy-efficient. Using less water means that less electricity or gas will be used in heating the water. Because they use a small amount of water and a very small amount of HE detergent, each load costs less compared to traditional top-load models. This is great news for your wallet and for our planet.
- They are easier on your clothes. Unlike traditional top-load models with a central agitator, front-loaders utilize an up and down motion for washing, which mimics a more gentle style of hand washing. Less wear and tear on your articles of clothing means they will last longer.
- They are easy to load and unload. While top-load washers are easy to load, unloading wet clothing for transfer to a dryer can be difficult for people of short stature or those who have short arms.
- In general, front loaders cost more upfront, but over time, great savings can be realized due to increased energy savings.
- If a problem occurs, repair may be more costly, due to the advanced technology incorporated into many models.
- Some owners have reported excessive odor with high-efficiency front-loaders. This can be avoided by leaving the door open between uses, and by running a monthly cleaning cycle using a detergent designed specifically for cleaning high-efficiency machines.
- Because these models use less water, the time required to run a cycle is approximately thirty minutes longer than a traditional washing machine. If time is of the essence, many models include a quick cycle to launder clothing that is only needing slight refreshing.
Have more questions? Need assistance with installation? Contact us today!